One of the most interesting things you can do with ownCloud is set up a personal cloud server for all your music. Just upload some MP3 files into ownCloud, and you immediately have access to them alongside a web player. That alone is useful, but you can also set up a desktop client to access those files.
Your ownCloud server is compatible with a few different music apps, but we like Tomahawk because it's simple, cross platform, and surprisingly powerful. Here's how to set up Tomahawk to read music from ownCloud:
- From the ownCloud web interface, click your username and select "Personal."
- Copy down the URL listed as Media (it will read something like: http://yourdomain/owncloud/remote.php/ampache)
- In Tomahawk, head to the Preferences (Tomahawk > Preferences), and select "Services."
- Scroll down and select "Ampache."
- In the dialogue box that opens, enter in your ownCloud username and password, followed by the URL you copied above.